Woman Arrested for Starving Cats
PINELLAS PARK, Fla. (AP) - A Pinellas County woman has been charged with confinement of animals without sufficient food or water after police found 17 malnourished cats in her apartment.
Jail records show 54-year-old Betty Darlene Dowell was arrested Friday.
She has since posted $150 bond. There wasn't a working phone number listed for Dowell and it wasn't immediately known if she has an attorney.
The Tampa Bay Times reports Dowell was staying at her sister's home when officers discovered the starving felines.
Dowell told officers she returned to the apartment "every several days."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Ex-Tarzan Actor Arrested; Big Cats Taken from Home
- Woman Arrested After Scamming South Florida Students
- 2 Starving Horses Found Boarded Up in Stall
- Police: Man Kills Girlfriend's Cat, Threatens To Kill Woman
- Man Is Arrested for Cooking Cats
- Alachua County Hasn't Seen Rabies in Feral Cats in Four Years
- Hundreds of Cats Removed from Sanctuary
- Attempted Cat Rescue
- Lawmakers Slam Inaction on Reducing CAT Fund Risk
- Man's Life Saved by his Pet Cat