Woman Solicited Undercover Detective to kill Daughter-In-Law
MIDDLEBURG, Fla. (AP) - A 70-year-old woman was arrested after soliciting an undercover Jacksonville Sheriff's Office detective to kill her daughter-in-law, authorities said.
Diana Reaves Costarakis of Middleburg was being held Saturday in the Duval County Jail without bond on charges of criminal solicitation and criminal conspiracy, both capital felony crimes. Her court date was scheduled for Oct. 31st, jail records show. Her attorney was not listed on jail records.
According to the sheriff's office, Costarakis offered an undercover detective $5,000 to kill her daughter-in-law on Wednesday when they first met at a Home Depot. She gave him $500 as the first payment as well as a photo of the woman, her address, and car description. Costarakis gave the detective another $1,000 on Thursday and told him her daughter-in-law wore expensive jewelry including diamonds that could be stolen and to use that money towards the final payment. The diamonds could not be traced, she told the detective.
When asked if Costarakis wanted her daughter-in-law dead, she said, "If you don't, I will," according to the police report.
She was later taken into custody.
Costarakis told police that her daughter-in-law was a drunk and a bad mother to her 6-year-old granddaughter.
Angela Costarakis told WJXT TV she did not know why her mother-in-law would be so angry with her.
"I am beyond sad and it breaks my heart because it messes up the family," Angela Costarakis told the media. "I have compassion. I don't want to see anyone spend the rest of their life in jail. However, I am still just dealing with it. I just found out. I have not wrapped my head around it."
The police report said Diana Costarakis claimed her daughter-in-law was leaving her son and moving to Denver with her granddaughter. Angela Costarakis told WJXT that wasn't true.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Woman charged in law professor's killing; has ties to his ex
- Woman in Jail for Solicitation of Capital Murder
- Woman gets 50 years for killing woman with car
- FSU Law Professor Shot And Killed
- New law will aid families of officers and firefighters killed in line of duty
- Man Gets 25 Years for Killing Woman
- Woman Killed, 5 Year Old Seriously Injured in Car Accident
- Woman killed in Fourth of July fireworks accident
- Woman Gets Life For Killing Ex-Husband
- Woman Killed in Bus Crash Identified as Disney Employee