Coast Guard Sending Help to Vessel off of Puerto Rico
MIAMI (AP) - Coast Guard officials say they're sending help to a man needing a medical evacuation from his sailboat more than 400 miles northeast of Puerto Rico.
The sailing vessel Scat contacted Coast Guard crews in San Juan, Puerto Rico, early Sunday to request medical assistance for the severely dehydrated 61-year-old man.
Coast Guard officials initially enlisted a Bahamian vessel to provide assistance, but it was unable to safely evacuate the man because of rough and hazardous sea conditions.
The Coast Guard planned to launch a helicopter and a cutter to the sailboat's location.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Coast Guard looking for 4 missing boaters off Key West
- Coast Guard rescues 4 boaters who went missing off Key West
- Coast Guard to Help Release Baby Sea Turtles
- Coast Guard Searches for Nine Fishermen Off The Coast of Haiti
- One of Bradford County's "Most Wanted" Arrested in Puerto Rico
- When does the Coast Guard call off a search effort?
- Coast Guard searches for missing Florida family in Gulf
- $20 Million in Cocaine Confiscated by Coast Guard
- Coast Guard searches for boater after collision
- Coast Guard Repatriates 7 Cuban Migrants