Oscar Pistorius sentenced to 6 years in prison for murder
Published July 6th, 2016
PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) - Oscar Pistorius has been sentenced to six years in prison for the murder of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
Pistorius stood and faced Judge Thokozile Masipa as she announced the sentence in a South African courtroom on Wednesday.
Pistorius was facing a possible 15-year jail term for shooting Steenkamp through a toilet cubicle door at his home in 2013, but Masipa said substantial and compelling circumstances existed in the double-amputee Olympic runner's case to give him a lesser sentence.
Steenkamp's parents, Barry and June, were present in the courtroom, which was packed with relatives of both Pistorius and Steenkamp and other observers.
In reading out the sentence, Judge Masipa said Pistorius was a "fallen hero."
The judge ordered a recess to give prosecutors and Pistorius' defense lawyers time to decide if either wanted to appeal the sentence.
(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to 5 years in prison
- Oscar Pistorius Faces Sentencing Today
- Oscar Pistorius Trial Delayed
- Ocala Man Convicted of Murder, Sentenced to 22 Years in Prison
- "Blade Runner" Accused of Murdering Girlfriend
- Drew Peterson Sentenced to 38 Years for Murder
- Maranda Martin Sentenced to Life in Prison for Murder of Paul Quandt Sr.
- Former UF Student Sentenced to Seven Years in Prison for Deadly Hit-and-Run
- Former Gainesville Police Officer Receives Two Year Prison Sentence
- Man sentenced to 4 years prison after soliciting minor