US Navy Deploys 2nd Aircraft Carrier to Persian Gulf
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) - The U.S. Navy says it has deployed a second aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf amid rising tensions with Iran over its nuclear program.
Cmdr. Amy Derrick-Frost of the Bahrain-based 5th Fleet said on Monday that the deployment of the nuclear-powered USS Enterprise along the Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group marks only the fourth time in the past decade that the Navy has had two aircraft carriers operating at the same time in the region.
The two carriers will support the American military operations in Afghanistan and anti-piracy efforts off Somalia's coast and in the Gulf of Aden.
The warships also patrol the Gulf's strategic oil routes that Iran has threatened to shut down in retaliation for economic sanctions.
- Police Standoff with Terror Suspect Enters 2nd Day
- Persian Rug Breaks New Record at Auction
- Mail Carrier Slaying
- Mail Carrier Attacked by Ocala Man
- Local volunteers delivering baby carriers to Greece
- U.F.'s unmanned aircraft
- Experimental Aircraft
- Inside of Ocala's Aircraft Rescue & Fire Fighting Training
- Keystone Heights Airport Offers a Chance to Fly Restored WWII Aircraft
- 351st Military Police Company Combat Support Deployment