Healthy Breakfast Ideas
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- TV20's Emily Burris visited the kitchens of North Florida Regional Medical Center for some chef-tested, dietitian approved breakfast ideas.
Ricotta Granola Parfait
· 1 cup skim ricotta cheese
· 1/2 cup plain lowfat greek yogurt
· ½ tsp lemon zest
· 1/2 cup raspberries
· ½ cup blueberries
· 2 cups granola, recipe below
· 1/4 cup sliced almonds
To toast the sliced almonds, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 300 degrees oven for 6 to 8 minutes until lightly golden. Cool completely before using.
Mix all berries in a bowl and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk the ricotta cheese and yogurt together until smooth. In each parfait glass, layer 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture, ¼ cup of berries and 1/4 cup of granola. Repeat the layers. Spread the remaining ricotta mixture on top and garnish with toasted almonds before serving.
Granola (Makes 4 ¾ cups)
· 2 cups regular oats
· 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
· 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
· 1/4 cup chopped chopped pecans
· 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
· 1/3 cup orange juice
· 1/3 cup honey
· 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
· 2 teaspoons canola oil
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 300°.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.
Combine orange juice, honey, and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in oil and vanilla.
Pour honey mixture over oat mixture, stirring to coat. Spread mixture in a thin layer onto a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 300° for 10 minutes; stir well. Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
Mediterranean Breakfast Burrito
with egg whites, smoked sun-dried tomatoes, feta , spinach and red onion
· Cooking spray
· ½ cup red onion, julienne
· 10 ounces fresh spinach
· 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, julienne, smoked
· 8 ounces egg whites
· 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
· 4 whole wheat flour tortillas
Spray more cooking spray into the pan and add spinach, red onion and sundried tomatoes. Heat through until spinach begins to wilt and onions are translucent, about 2 minutes.
Beat the eggs and scramble with spinach, red onion and sun-dried tomatoes. Remove from heat.
Heat the tortillas in a dry skillet over medium-high heat until soft, one minute on each side.
Make the burritos by placing a quarter of the hot eggs on one side of tortilla, then top with 2 tablespoons of the feta cheese, tuck in sides, wrap and roll. Cut in half on the diagonal.
Multigrain Waffle with Almond Butter and Maple Caramelized Bananas
· 4 multigrain waffles
· 4 Tbsp almond butter
· 2 bananas, sliced on diagonal
· 2 Tbsp smart balance butter
· 2 tsp maple syrup
· Dash of cinnamon
Heat the smart balance in a nonstick skillet. Add bananas, syrup and cinnamon until golden brown and syrupy, about 5 minutes.
Toast waffles in a 350 degree oven for 3-5 minutes or golden brown. Spread 1 tablespoon of almond butter on the waffle and top with a quarter of the banana syrup.
- Healthy 'TailGators': Lighter Recipe Ideas Pt 2
- Healthy 'TailGators': Lighter Recipe Ideas
- Your Health: Gluten-Free Recipes
- Summer Shape Up: Healthy Cookout Ideas
- 11/5/12 Fitzness Minute: Healthy Smoothies
- 1/14/13 Fitzness Minute: Healthy Vacation
- 1/21/13 Fitzness Minute: Healthy Cruising
- Steps Parents Should Take to Ensure Kids Stay Healthy
- 5/27/13 Fitzness Minute: Healthy Indulgence
- Medical Spotlight: The Importance Of Breakfast