Your Health: Resolution Reboot Part 2
Welcome to Resolution Reboot, Part 2, to encourage you to try some new ways to exercise to beat boredom and get back on track with your New Year’s Resolutions.
The Secret weapon to busting out of that plateau is lifting weights.
Many people turn to cardio exercise like running and walking because they've heard it burns calories and burning calories helps you lose weight right?
The answer is yes and no. While cardio helps you burn calories right now, lifting weights makes you look trimmer and shapelier and also helps you burn calories -- even after your workout is done.
Lifting weights can help you lose fat, change how your body looks and tone your muscles without the risk of injury if done correctly. You can also successfully re-sculpt trouble spots such as bat wings on your arms.
For a balanced fitness program, strength training is essential. It can slow the muscle loss that comes with age, build the strength of your muscles and connective tissues, increase bone density, cut your risk of injury, and help ease arthritis pain
Studies from the CDC have found that muscle-building exercise can also improve balance, reduce the likelihood of falls, improve blood-sugar control, and improve sleep and mental health.
Strength training is especially important for dieters. When you lose weight, up to a quarter of the loss may come from muscle, which can slow your metabolism. Strength training helps you rebuild any muscle you lost by dieting -- or keep you from losing it in the first place.
Here, detailed in the video, are 3 big bang exercises for adding muscle and supercharging your metabolism.
- Your Health: Resolution Reboot
- Your Health: Starting On New Year's Resolutions
- Your Health: Raiding the Refrigerator
- Your Health: Excercises for Improving Posture
- Your Health: Fighting The Snack Attack
- Your Health: Resistance Band Exercises To Tone Your Whole Body
- Your Health: Resistance Band Exercises To Tone Your Whole Body Pt. 2
- Your Health: Resistance Band Exercises To Tone Your Whole Body Pt. 3
- Your Health: A More Permanent Resolution
- 10/15/12 Fitzness Minute: Get into the CrossFit Craze