Summer Shape Up: Healthy Cookout Ideas
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Add these recipes from our experts at Gainesville Health and Fitness to your repertoire for a healthy summer cookout!
Black Bean and Corn Salsa
2, 15-ounce black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 bunch green onions, chopped (white and pale green parts)
1 green bell pepper, chopped fine
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1. Mix ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Refrigerate for a few hours.
3. Serve as lettuce wraps.
Mojo Marinade for Chicken
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
8 cloves minced garlic
¾ cup citrus juice (I use lemon, lime, or orange)
¾ tsp ground cumin
sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add garlic and cook only until fragrant, about 20-30 seconds. Be very careful not to brown the garlic.
3. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in juice, cumin, salt, and pepper and bring to a simmer.
5. Immediately remove from heat and let cool.
Grilled Fruit Kabobs with Honey Yogurt Dip
2 pounds assorted fruit (strawberries, pineapple, mango and kiwi in photo)
8 metal or bamboo skewers
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon grated lime zest
1. Heat grill to medium-high and make sure grate is clean.
2. Thread chunks of washed, peeled or seeded fruit onto skewers. If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for 10 minutes to minimize chances of burning.
3. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side, turning carefully so fruit does not fall off of skewers.
4. Remove from heat and serve with dip.
- For dip: Combine yogurt, honey and lime zest and stir until well blended. Keep chilled until serving time.
- Summer Shape Up: The Basics of Zumba
- Summer Shape Up: Three Moves For Great Abs
- Summer Shape Up: Beach Exercises
- Summer Shape Up: Start Your Day With a Workout
- Summer Shape Up: Workout in the Pool
- Summer Shape Up: Travel Workout
- Summer Shape Up: The Benefits of Walking
- Summer Shape Up: Stretching
- Summer Shape Up: Personal Trainer Favorites Pt. 1
- Summer Shape Up: Personal Trainer Favorites Pt. 2