Defendant in Hannah Brim murder found guilty

Published: Aug. 7, 2019 at 12:58 PM EDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Nelson Armas was found guilty of first degree murder, grand theft auto, and tampering with evidence.

Armas was sentenced to life in prison for the death of Hannah Brim, as well as an additional ten years in prison.


After delaying his testimony, Nelson Armas chose not to testify once again on the eighth day of his trial.

This prompted closing arguments from the prosecution and defense.

The jury was sent to deliberate around 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday.

A verdict has yet to be reached.


A man suspected of killing his pregnant ex-girlfriend was expected to take the witness stand Tuesday in his own murder trial, but he got cold feet just before it was his turn.

Nelson Armas is accused of killing 23-year-old Hannah Brim while she was five months pregnant.

All eyes were on Armas, as he sat before the jury, accused of the murder of his ex-lover Hannah Brim. However, a last-minute decision means we did not get to hear from him on Tuesday.

"Given the circumstances that have been presented during the course of the trial - as well as the length of the trial - I'm going to grant the request that your attorney had made in regards to your final decision being made in the morning,” said Judge Phillip Pena.

He was expected to give his own testimony on the murder but when it came time for him to take the witness stand, he had some second thoughts.

He was seen in the courtroom holding his head down and covering his face with his hands.

The court took a 10-minute break for Armas to make a decision and he chose to postpone his testimony.

The court has allowed Armas to further discuss his testimony with his attorney and make a final decision Wednesday morning.

Court will resume Wednesday morning at 8:30. The jury will also hear closing statements.


The trial is underway for the man accused of killing his ex-lover in 2016.

Police say Nelson Armas was the last person to see Hannah Brim alive.

The victim, Hannah Brim was twenty-three years old and five months pregnant at the time of her death.

The jury was taken through three and a half hours of video interviews as well as an additional two hours of audio recordings between Armas and police, on the third day of trial.

Detectives say Armas was the last person to see Brim on the afternoon of January 19th, 2016.

Her remains were found nine months later near the Orange Heights area.

Detective Tom Mullins from the Gainesville Police Department was the first witness to be called by the prosecution Wednesday morning.

The recordings between Armas and Detective Mullins revealed that Armas knew Brim for at least four to five years before her death.


A man charged with first-degree murder back in 2016 is facing the court. Nelson Armas was accused of murdering his ex-girlfriend Hannah Brim three years ago in September.

Brim went missing in January 2016. Later Alachua County officials found her body in a swampy area just 2 and a half miles NW of Orange Heights.

Wednesday they're hearing from the prosecution. The trial is expected to last up to two weeks.

TV20 is on-site and we will keep you updated as the trial progresses.

Latest News

Latest News