GAINESVILLE, Fla. (WCJB)-- The CEO of GoFundMe published a letter explaining the company's values.
In it, he explains, that from the beginning of 2018 people "jumped" into action kicking off with the TIME'S UP Movement and throughout the year with other causes that include helping their communities, inspire others, and create lasting change.
He mentions that there are too many different things to mentions, but there are three key themes that emerged in 2018:
1) Social fundraising becoming an integral part of bigger movements that inspire others.
2) Using social fundraising as a tool of choice to invoke widespread change.
3) Rather than being overwhelmed by the news, people instead started taking action with every event by sharing, donating, or even starting a GoFundMe to make an immediate impact.
Gainesville made the list of most generous cities coming in at number 8 in the top 10.
By the Numbers: GoFundMe in 2018 Top Fundraisers
- TIME'S UP LEGAL DEFENSE
- FUNDS FOR HUMBOLT BRONCOS
- STONEMAN DOUGLAS VICTIMS' FUND
- MARCH FOR OUR LIVES
- HOUSES FOR ROHINGYA REFUGEES
-TREE OF LIFE SYNAGOGUE VICTIMS
- THE ARI FULD MEMORIAL FUND
- SAVING CARTER
- HELP THE FAMILY OF ANTHONY BORGES
- COLEMAN DUCK BOAT SURVIVORS
Top 10 Most Generous US Cities (donations per capita)
1. Steamboat Springs, CO
2. Washington, D.C.
3. Redding, CA
4. Tallahassee, FL
5. Midland, TX
6. Tucson, AZ
7. Bend, OR
8. Gainesville, FL
9. Las Vegas, NV
10. Lincoln, NE
Top 10 Most Generous US States (donations per capita)
7. New Hampshire
9. New Jersey
If you would like to read the complete report go to the related documents tab on the right side.