Person suffers from critical burns after hotel bed catches on fire

By  | 

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (WCJB) – A person is recovering from critical burns after their hotel bed caught on fire Tuesday.

Gainesville Fire Rescue crews responded to a call at the Econo Lodge on the 2600 block of Southwest 13th Street after a fire started in a hotel room.

Firefighter crews said a cigarette caused the bed to catch fire while the person was sleeping, Gainesville Fire Rescue said. They were able to extinguish the fire.

The hotel room's occupant suffered from severe burn injuries and was taken to the hospital, GFR said.