Old Town woman sent to hospital after dog attack

Published: Apr. 17, 2019 at 5:54 PM EDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

After two weeks in the hospital, a woman in Old Town is still in recovery after five pit bull dogs attacked her on a bike ride.

After only a week of living in her new neighborhood, Sara Wegscheid experienced a terrible tragedy.

On March 27th Wegscheid took her bike to explore the new neighborhood her family just moved to.

While passing her neighbor's house, five pit bulls ran out and attacked her.

She said the dogs started sniffing her bike and then started to bite at her ankles. She tried to climb over a nearby fence to get away from the dogs but Wegscheid said that's when the attack got serious.

"The fence was right there on the other side of the road. I tried crawling over the fence, even though there was barbed wire on top of it, I was like I'll just grab the barbed wire, I don't care, I need to get away and that's really when the attack began to pick up,” she said.

Wegscheid had been airlifted to UF Health Shands after the incident and stayed there for two weeks, spending time in the burn care unit, which was the unit best suited to help her due to extensive damage to her skin.

Now she's in need of surgery to save her leg.

"If I don't get surgery, my ankle and foot they said will not heal properly, completely on its own, it will never heal properly. I will never walk properly. I'll always have a limp, I'll always have pain and so the surgery is absolutely necessary for me to make any kind of real recovery towards being functional with the leg,” she added.

Throughout this process, Wegscheid's husband Prosper has been helping with his wife's injuries and taking care of their three children, but even with the support of her family, it will take some time for her heart to heal.

Major Scott Harden at the Dixie County Sheriff's Office said, he hasn't seen an attack like this in over 10 years.

"When you say dog attack where multiple dogs have actually attacked and mauled or injuries somebody to the extent that this happened, we don't have it very often,” Harden said.

Wegscheid will have a long recovery ahead. She's thankful that it wasn't one of her children to be attacked.

"God forbid that was my son that was attacked. this shouldn't have happened to anybody. Nobody,” she said.

The dogs were voluntarily given up and euthanized.

The case has been sent to the state attorney for review to check of any criminal negligence.

Wegscheid and her family have a go fund me account to help with medical expenses. So far the family has made $3,265 dollars out of a $10,000 goal.

Latest News

Latest News