Police investigating off-campus apartment armed robbery

By  | 

GAINESVILLE, Fla -- **UPDATE** 9:07PM 8/25/17
Gainesville Police say no suspect was struck by gunfire. They believe all suspects were armed with handguns and one of the apartment occupants fought with the suspects when the gun was fired. GPD is confirming the apartment was targeted.
Gainesville Police are searching for armed robbers who targeted an apartment complex off the University of Florida's campus Friday morning.

The robbery occurred at 1218 SW 3rd Ave, Lyncourt Square Apartments which is across the street from UF's administration building, Tigert Hall.

UF police tweeted around 1 PM, one of the suspects may possibly have been shot by the homeowner.

"I walked out at like 12, 12:15," said Cody Wright, a UF student living just steps away at Social28 Apartments. "I saw like, nine cop cars and I was wondering what happened."

GPD got a call shortly after 11:30 AM from a neighbor on the fifth floor who heard a loud pop, and saw three men running down the stairs.

Police said some blood was found in nearby hallways and stairwells.

"It appears to be a targeted armed robbery. We believe the suspects were going to this particular apartment and we're trying to determine why that may have been," said Ben Tobias, a spokesperson for the Gainesville Police Department.

Although UF police said the homeowner may possibly have fired the gunshot, GPD is still investigating if that was the case. The residents in the apartment only suffered minor injuries.

"Usually this area tends to be pretty safe," Wright said. "Never seen something like this happen before."

Surveillance video showed one of the suspects is 15 to 20 years old with a thin build, short haircut, and wearing a red hoody and blue jeans. The second suspect is 18 to 25 years of age with a heavy build, facial hair, wearing a black and white hoody with black sleeves, and blue jeans.

There may be a third suspect, although no description of him is available at this time.

The suspects fled prior to police arrival. Police reported there's no threat to the community. Local hospitals were alerted to call police if victims suffering gun shots arrived, but as of Friday afternoon, none have done so.