UPDATE: Man convicted in Kava Lounge shooting sentenced to additional 40 years in jail

By  | 

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (WCJB)-- UPDATE(04/16/19):
31-year-old Gregory Jones Jr. will spend an additional 40 years in the department of corrections custody, for carrying a gun while at the Kava Lounge.

Jones was sentenced last week to life in prison plus 20 years for a shooting last August. The new sentence will run consecutively with the previous one.

Gregory Jones junior was involved in two different shootings has been sentenced in one of them.

A judge sentenced the 31-year-old to life in prison plus 20 years, for a shooting that took place in August.

Jones still has to face sentencing for the shooting that took place at the Kava Lounge in May. Jone was found guilty in March by an Alachua County jury after three hours of deliberation.

That sentencing is scheduled for Monday.

UPDATE: (03/13/2019):
According to Assistant State Attorney George Wright, Gregory Jones Jr., 31, was prosecuted Wednesday. Jones was arrested after a Gainesville Police investigation for a fight in front of Kava Lounge, in May 2018, where shots were fired leaving one person injured.

Jones was charged with carrying a concealed firearm and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Jones was found guilty by an Alachua County Jury. Jones will be sentenced within 30 days.

Assistant State Attorney Daniel Owens prosecuted, Christopher T.
Alexander, 27, on December 18, 2018. Alexander plead to aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and possession of a firearm by a felon. He was sentenced by to 4 years (with 3 year minimum sentence) in the Florida Department of Corrections.
Gainesville police are searching for a suspect they say shot a man around 3 AM Saturday near the Kava Lounge on West University Avenue.
Police found a 20-year-old man lying on the ground with a bullet wound to his side while the shooter was nowhere to be found.
Officers say they believe the shooting started with an argument and the injured man they found was the first to draw his gun. The responding officers treated the injured man with trauma kits before he was taken to the hospital. As of Saturday morning, he was in the intensive care unit pending further updates.