STARKE, Fla. (WCJB)-- In a statement issued Thursday, February 7, the Bradford County School District denied claims that their school lunches are behind the recent illness of some of their students.
We spoke over the phone with Assistant Superintendent, David Harris, who said that parent had made the claim that their child had gotten sick after eating school lunch at Southside Elementary school, but did not bring it up to any of the school district staff.
He adds that 63 students out of 574 were absent from Southside Elementary on Thursday, which is within the average for flu season. He added that 56 were absent from Starke Elementary on the same, and that school has a smaller population than Southside.
They do note that there does appear to be a virus "going around," but that most students are back to school after a day or two.
Chris Wilder, Director of Bradford County School District Department of Food and Nutrition Services, said, "The latest issue of student health is taken very seriously...standard Operating Procedures and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) regulations were reviewed at Southside Elementary and determined to be in compliance."
Wilder added that the Department of health was advised of the complaint but notes that no reports of foodborne illness had been reported, adding that doctors are required by law to report suspected food poisoning to the Department of Health.