Unattended food sparks fire at Gainesville home

By  | 

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (WCJB)-- Gainesville Fire Rescue was called to a home fire on Northeast 14th Street, Saturday evening. When the first crew arrived on scene, they saw heavy smoke pouring from the roof.

It took several units to contain the fire, which they said started in the kitchen.

Firefighters say unattended cooking food started the flames.

“Gainesville Fire Rescue would like to remind everyone to never leave cooking food unattended, it only takes minutes to start a fire,” the department said in a statement.

There were two visitors at the home at the time of the fire. The homeowner was away. No one was injured.