Verdict reached in tobacco company lawsuit
Published: Mar. 14, 2018 at 7:41 PM EDT
A major tobacco company lawsuit was settled in Eighth Circuit Court in Gainesville on Wednesday.
A jury awarded Alachua County resident, Jo Freeman, $4 million in damages, after her husband, David, died of lung cancer.
He had smoked Philip-Morris cigarettes for thirty years. The jury found Philip-Morris was 60% responsible for David Freeman's death.
The same lawsuit ended in a mistrial last year, with the jury deadlocked over whether punitive damages should be awarded.